Bunbury is the second largest city in Western Australia (WA) and is the centre for the South West region offering industrial and commercial venutres, an International Port, and many wide and varied tourism opportunities for investors and visitors alike.
Located 169 kilometres, approximately two hours south of Perth (the capital of WA), Bunbury can be easily accessed via the Forrest Highway or the South West Highway.
Initially named ‘Port Leschenault’ by French explorer Captain Nicolas Thomas Baudin in 1803, the town-site was declared in 1836 and now has a population of around 30,000 within the Bunbury City, and 50,000 within the greater Bunbury Area.
The present Bunbury Bowling Club was started at a meeting in the Bunbury Ambulance Hall on 10th September 1947. Local politician Fred Withers was delegated to negotiate with the Town Council for land on Forrest Avenue.
Three rinks were planted (to couch grass) and a small clubhouse was built of weatherboard with an iron roof. It had one small window and a door. In it were stored the tools required for the green and the ladies had a cutlery and crockery cupboard.
The dining room was a bough shed (wooden framed roofed with boughs). Tea was brewed over an open fire, and a kerosene tin was utilised for washing up, with water boiled in a copper.
Play commenced in 1947, and as there were just three rinks, play was one way only. Wooden bowls were used and often when driving, the small disc controlling the bias would fall out, having to be stuck in again.
As membership grew a timber and asbestos clubhouse was built with a bar licence being granted, which led to many social singalongs and dance nights.
In 1961 a new clubhouse was built, being the foundation for the present building with additions being made in 1984 and 1986.
The original three rinks grew to five greens. The original (‘A’) Green was excavated and is now a Carpark.
- A Green (formerly B Green) was converted to a sand-filled synthetic turf arena in 2007.
- B Green (formerly C Green) was converted in April 2009, the end of the era of turf greens.
- C Green (formerly D Green) was converted in 2001 and renewed in 2016.
- D Green (formerly E Green) was also converted in 2001 and was renewed in May 2013.
Over the years, members have had considerable success in the noble sport of lawn bowls.
Both men and women have won variously:
- Country Week Singles, Pairs and Fours titles.
- Champion of Club Champions.
- State Titles
- Representation in their respective State Teams.